1. Seven simple steps to take fingerprints…
It couldn’t be easier to take fingerprints using our kits, which are supplied free with every fingerprint jewellery order. Full instructions are included with the kit, but we have put together a step-by-step to help you get the best prints possible.
- Make sure hands and fingers are clean and dry before you begin taking the prints.
- Place the fingerprint printing paper on a table or hard surface, such as a book, to help avoid any smudging during the process
- Separate the ink strip supplied by pulling the two sides apart. Then, carefully place ink side up on a hard surface (be careful not to get ink on any soft furnishing or fabrics!)
- Gently place the fingertip onto the ink strip, ensuring the area from the third knuckle to the top of the finger has a covering of ink. When you lift the finger away, you will be able to see this on the fingertip.
- Gently place the fingertip onto the fingerprinting paper. Take care not to roll the finger or press down too hard, as the lighter the touch, the clearer the print.
- Repeat the above steps multiple times – the more fingerprints the better! We would recommend taking several prints from each finger and thumb to give a good range that we can work from. Each fingerprint is different and it is best to take a couple of prints before re-applying the ink to give some lighter and darker examples.
- Clean any remaining ink off the fingers using warm water and soap, or a wet wipe.
- You will now be able to see a range of fingerprints with some lovely unique detail included. Our expert designers will use this detail to create your jewellery!
2. What is Fingerprint Jewellery, and why is it so popular?
Fingerprint Jewellery is the perfect keepsake gift for a loved one or a special treat for yourself. Designed to be elegant and subtle, we can create a wide range of jewellery in various shapes, sizes and styles to suit every taste and preference.
Fingerprint jewellery is really popular for adult and memorial prints. We advise waiting until any children are over 12 months of age before you take their fingerprints, as their unique prints might not be fully developed until this age (for children under 12 months, we recommend our handprint and footprint jewellery range).
3. Memorial fingerprint jewellery as a beautiful tribute to a loved one
Families and loved ones are often worried about the process of taking fingerprints and that it may be too late to do so. However, these can be taken by the funeral home at any time before the funeral takes place. We work with many funeral directors all over the country who are often happy to help take your loved one’s prints.
Funeral directors are sensitive to the process, and it isn’t an unusual request, so please don’t feel nervous to ask them about it. They may use their own kits or fingerprint scanners, and we recommend that they take as many prints as possible from different fingers and thumbs to give a good range for us to work with.
We’ve written a blog about this process – if you’d like to know more, take a look here. We feel it’s important to say that we understand how difficult the grieving process is, and there’s no time limit once you have the prints; we’re here when you’re ready, in your own time.
4. Our fingerprint jewellery bestsellers!
Our specialist designers are highly experienced and skilled in extracting the very best details to feature on your piece of jewellery. We take great pride and care in creating these unique pieces that will be treasured forever, helping our customers keep a loved one close.
The front of the charm will be engraved with the true detail of the fingerprint that you supply us. The reverse side can be engraved with a name, date or message (up to 20 characters) in our standard font. Alternatively, we can now transfer an actual written name or message to the reverse of the charm in your loved one's handwriting instead of using our standard font. This could be transferred from an old note or greetings card (all we need is a photograph of the message you would like to transfer).
Available in a choice of colours, the bracelet closes with a stainless-steel push clasp. This bracelet is from our Premium Imprint Range, meaning the prints are imprinted into the silver rather than engraved onto the surface and are created to last a lifetime. You can find more information on the difference between engraved and imprinted jewellery here.
The front of the charm will be engraved with the true detail of the fingerprint that you supply us, the reverse side can also be engraved with a name, date or message (up to 15 characters) in our standard font. Or, as an alternative option, we’re delighted to say that we can now transfer an actual written name or message in your loved one's handwriting to the reverse of the charm instead of using our standard font. This could be transferred from an old note or greetings card (all we need is a photograph of the message you would like to transfer).
The full fingerprint is impressed into the charm, showing its unique detail. Our new unique personalisation option is also available on the reverse side of this piece. It can be engraved with a name, date or message of your choice in our own font. Or we can transfer your loved one's actual writing from a note or greetings card you may have. If you select this option, we just need a photograph of the handwritten message you would like on the pendant when you supply your fingerprint.
Created from stainless steel, the front of the tag-shaped keyring is engraved with one fingerprint and name; you then also have the choice to add a special message to the reverse. This keyring is from our Engraved Range which means that the prints are engraved onto the surface of the design and comes with a 12-month no-fade guarantee.
We engrave each charm with the fingerprint of your loved one. The reverse side of each charm can be engraved with a name. This charm necklace is the ideal way to celebrate your growing family, as you can add further charms with every new addition or milestone.
We hope you enjoyed this blog that celebrates and explores the beauty and unique elements of fingerprint jewellery. We think fingerprint jewellery will continue to grow in popularity, as it’s a truly beautiful way to capture the unique essence of loved ones and to always keep them close.