- Check fixings regularly to ensure they’re working correctly, and they aren’t damaged.
- Always dry beneath a ring after washing your hands.
- Clean your jewellery regularly – to clean, lightly wipe over with a silver polish cloth.
- Store your jewellery properly. You should store it wrapped in the polish cloth and in a box (this includes cufflinks when they’re not being worn).
- Wash your ring in warm soapy water and dry it thoroughly if you experience some discolouration of the skin when wearing a sterling silver ring for the first couple of times. As the ring has been handcrafted and hand polished, it’s likely due to leftover residue when it was being made.
- Consider our maintenance service (you can find out more on our website), as sterling silver jewellery will benefit from an annual professional clean.
- Use jewellery cleaner. Now, this one might surprise you, but it’s an important tip. Using jewellery cleaner will remove the black oxidisation that we use to define the impressed print.
- Wear your jewellery when swimming, bathing or exercising, or when doing housework or gardening. Always remember to remove your jewellery when using household cleaners, especially bleach and bathroom cleaners.
- Try to adjust the size or shape of the jewellery yourself, as sterling silver is not flexible and trying to adjust the size or shape will likely cause damage and possible breakage.
- Keep out of direct sunlight and away from direct heat.
- Avoid contact with chemicals like perfume and body lotion.
- Be sure to check the fixings and fittings regularly to ensure they’re working correctly and aren’t damaged.
- Wear your leather jewellery while exercising or carrying out manual work – remember to remove it first.
- Wear leather in water, as exposure to water may cause the natural dye in the leather to run. Getting a leather bracelet wet will damage and weaken it. If your bracelet does get wet, it should be wiped with a dry, non-abrasive cloth and left to dry out completely at room temperature.
- Store your jewellery correctly to reduce or stop tarnishing. Your jewellery should be stored in a closed jewellery box and wrapped in a polish cloth when it isn’t being worn.
- Wipe your jewellery with a silver polish cloth after wear and before storing.
- Consider our maintenance service (you can find out more on our website), as silver jewellery will benefit from an annual professional clean.
- Let your jewellery touch other jewellery, especially if that jewellery is already tarnished.
- Leave your jewellery out, as it being exposed to sunlight, air, or moisture can increase the rate of tarnishing.
We hope you enjoyed these tips to ensure your jewellery is always looking its best! At Hand on Heart, we take great care in creating high-quality handmade jewellery and gifts. Please don’t hesitate to contact our friendly customer service team if you have any questions about caring for your jewellery.